Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Update

My right calf is slowly getting better. I still can't stand up for too long, which is a big drag as it eliminates walks or really leaving the house and doing anything. Crutches were useless, alas, as the problem is just being vertical, not having weight on it or anything.

Some other good news is that my hemoglobin is back up to 112. That is still well below the 140-180 average, but at least I am not quite so out of breath all the time now. Also, it went up on its own, without me having to play vampire and get a blood transfusion to feel better. Not that I would mind doing that.

The radiation has started to play games with my digestive tract. I spare the details of this one. At this point it is just a hassle more than a danger.

This past weekend was very rough for me, I went into a deep hole of despair which lasted until, well, until this morning. Those two nights in Emergency were hard, and basically they cracked my will. I seem to be out of the hole now. Today was a much better day mentally.

Finally, I am glad I didn't know about this while I going into Emerg with intense chest pain. If you followed the Canadian story about the quarantined train at all, then you'll remember that a woman died early on in that saga. Well, it turns out she died of what I have. Pulmonary Embolism. Luckily, I currently have a bunch of small, non-fatal clots. And my lungs are still operating at a mostly full capacity. You can bet I'll be vigilant about injecting blood thinner into myself every day.