Thursday, May 22, 2008

Tube Change is done.

I had the day surgery for the Tube Change today. I admitted at the front desk, and then went into a day-surgery prep ward. They hadn't ordered any antibiotics for me, but I insisted that I should have some since the last tube change resulted in an infection. So, a phone call was made, and I got the antibiotics. I also got them to hang a big 2L bag of saline to help flush out the cisplatin from my kidneys.

The procedure itself went MUCH better this time with the painkiller (I'm not sure which one) injected in through my IV tube. The standard pain scale is 0 to 10 where 0 is no pain, and 10 is the worst pain you have ever experienced. Last time I had to re-adjust my idea of 10 because it was worse than anything I has experienced. This time it didn't go much past 6-7, and not for very long. All in all, I was quite satisfied. My fingers are crossed that there will be no complications this time.

I asked the doctor to upgrade the size of the tube from a 10 to 12 French, just because a larger tube is probably less likely to plug up and block. So my new tube (and the connecting internal stent on the right side) is a 12. I still have the external tube and 3 way valve sticking out of my ribs, but for the moment, the bile bag is not attached. If anything seems to be amiss (swelling, flushing difficulty, etc.), then I will re-attach the bag right away.

Radiation was earlier this morning. It was uneventful. 17 down and 13 to go.