Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Not so bad this time around.

The cisplatin hasn't been so bad this time around. So far. I am taking an additional new drug for anti-nausea (Aprepitant) which was quite expensive, but was mostly covered by my health plan. And it seems to be working very well so far. I am still taking Ondansetron for anti-nausea too, but I cut back the steroid by half that goes with that one. And, the biggest one for my feeling of extreme restlessness and frankly malaise, is that I am now taking generic Ritalin too (yes, that's right) - for a week now, and that effect is immediately clear to me, and is definitely beneficial, so I will stick with that throughout the rest of chemo. Oh yes, and I am also now taking an appetite stimulant. And still the antibiotics for my ongoing infection. And the pain meds. In my previous life I rarely even took an aspirin for a headache, now I am a walking pharmacy.

But, as I say, so far (touch wood, cross fingers, etc.), I have not fallen into the hole the cisplatin has dumped me into the previous two times. One factor may be that I am not also getting the epirubicin this time, since it cannot be given during radiation.

As for the radiation, today I got my second dose which went smoothly and quickly, I felt nothing again. Nothing much to report there. I am on so much anti-nausea medicine that I didn't even notice a bump in nausea from the blast to my gut.