Saturday, August 9, 2008

Comfortable at Home

Not much to report.

My bed at home is set up nicely with some props under the mattress - to form a shallow V - so that my abdomen doesn't get extra stretched, and I can raise my legs so my ankles and feet don't fill with blood. With that set up, and a little help from a sleeping pill, I have had some very good sleeps the last few nights, which really helps with my energy level during the day.

Also, I'm not sure if I am just getting used to having a bloated abdomen or if the diuretics I am taking are helping reduce some of the distention, but I am feeling less intensity in the swelling. My abdomen, combined with my skinny arms and legs, makes me looks like starving African child, except I am not a child, I am not African, and I am certainly not starving - I eat a lot these days.

By the way, this bloated condition is called Ascites - you can read all about it if you are curious. In my case, I don't have cirrhosis of the liver, but portal vein is indeed partially blocked due to the primary tumour.

All this medical talk is a bit tiring. Anyway, the main point is that I am very glad to be at home and resting here. I have no plans for anything special, and that is just fine with me.