Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Back at home

I am now back at home. It feels great to be out of the hospital. I was in there for more than 2 weeks.

My abdomen is painfully distended, not from backed up food or drink, rather fluid between the organs. I will have to increase my dose of painkillers to reach some level of comfort again. I could get the fluid removed to release some of the pressure, which would last for a couple weeks until it built up again, however such a procedure would be too risky with my platelets still low. If I start bleeding, it might not stop.

I will start taking Tarceva® (it comes in pills) and see how it goes. The major side effect will be an acne-like rash on my face and neck. I am told it should not affect my blood. I may elect to give it up - we'll see.

My plan now is to simply relax at home and try to make myself as comfortable as possible.