Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Transfer to the main hospital.

Last night I transferred here to the main hospital where my surgeon and oncologist are. Previously I was up at the University Hospital. The major difference is that here, my surgeon know my history and is taking charge and coordinating everything. Last night I was in a very small shared room, that smelled strongly of feces when I was first wheeled in there. This morning I manged to beg for a single room, and I am in it now. Whoa - 8 people from the GI team (a doc, residents, and students I guess) just crammed into my room to discuss my GI tract bleeding with me. So it goes with a teaching hospital. Their goal/task is to stop me from getting any more bleeds. To that end, over the last week I have been taking some drugs and blah blah... basically the root problem is the low platelet count.

My 30 hours of NPO at UH turned out to be useless because they finally decided not to do a scope again of my stomach. What we did do early yesterday morning was a cholangiogram. I swear they got me in and out of there for that procedure in less than 5 minutes. I never even heard the radiologist's name. Unfortunately, the apparent good news that my tube was fine as far as he could see, brings with it underlying bad news, since it begs the question why is my bilirubin so high if the tube is draining.

At this point hematology is still completely stumped about the platelets. And I hope to meet my surgeon later today to discuss the next steps in figuring out why my bilirubin is so high.