Friday, July 18, 2008

Platelet Transfusion today.

I had another long day in the hospital today. I was bounced around a bit, and ended up in the cancer clinic stretcher bay with my Oncologist directing things, and calling in a consult with a Haematology doctor. Anyway, the short story is that my platelets dropped from 25 to 10, which is a dangerously low level. Platelets that low can cause random bleeding - not good. So they gave me a transfusion to temporarily bump them up. No one knows yet why this is happening, but the Haematologist should have a better idea. He said the the main theories are that the spleen is consuming too many platelets, or I have some internal bleeding, or that my bone marrow has suddenly decided to be useless, or that there was/is some drug interaction that was causing this. Really only the last one seems possible given other observations, but we'll see. It may be that we never know.

Also, my bilirubin is even higher now. It is up to 150, so I am even more jaundiced. And all that comes with that. Not good.

They had a bed ready for me to be in an inpatient, but I am very glad I was able to come home. I may have to rush back into Emergency on the weekend (for instance if I start bleeding internally), but we'll see. I hope nothing happens. One solution to all of this is that it just gets better on its own without anyone figuring out why it started.